The Kindle Index

The Atlantic recently put out an article on eReaders that I find particularly interesting for our group. Although it analyzes which cities have emerged as the most aggressive early adopters of eReaders, it also points out that eReading still takes a back seat to reading from physical sources, by far. Most interestingly, they also report that iPad sales far outweigh Kindle and Nook sales. Of course, I can’t know what percentage of time iPad owners spend reading on their iPads. What I do know, however, is that a lot of eReaders have come and gone over the past 10 years. If this trend continues, I wouldn’t be surprised if we reminisce about the days of a single-use device like eReaders – or wrist watches. When Kindle released its Kindle Fire this year, Amazon showed interest in releasing more than an eReader. I wouldn’t be surprised if they release a true tablet soon to stay in this market.

One thought on “The Kindle Index

1. The lack of good design and therefore lack of competition with Apple never ceases to amaze me. Doesn’t everyone crave good design? I have a difficult time believing that other tablets will ever match up.